Book Review: Death World - Steve Lyons


Book - Death World
Author - Steve Lyons
Pages - 256
Publisher - Black Library

The Catachan jungle fighters of the Imperial Guard are an elite regiment, that specializes in destroying the Emperor’s foes on the most dangerous worlds of the Imperium. Their training is really put to the test when a squad is sent to the death world of Rogar III in response to an ork incursion. But as well as dealing with the green-skinned orks they must do battle with the planet itself and the mysterious figures that stalk them across the deadly terrain.
When I received this book on december I had to read it immediately. I had read Fifteen Hours and love it and read it in less than 2 days. I was not mistaken and again I read it swiftly enjoeyed every bit. (Now I know that I love the Imperial Guard more than Space Marines).

I sympathised with almost all the characters and I loved to read about Sly Marbo (changing the words makes Rambo, didn't thought about it until reading the book)
It begins with a platoon of Catachan that are in a mission that has nothing out of extraordinary. They just want to kill some orcs. If the main phrase in the book is "What you call hell, they call home!" then they got what they wanted.
The planet around them it remind them of home but it was different in several ways. It changed and attacked them. It evolved defending itself from outsiders (orcs and IG). The group itself was eleven catachans plus the commisar and his retinue of one man. Then there was Marbo. As soon as they start the voyage they knew this was not an ordinary mission. There was something wrong. The main character is called Lorenzo. And Lorenzo is beggining is career and as all of Catachan soldiers wants to prove is valour and make a name of his own. If he can't do it he will never be remember in Catachan and will die in shame. So in every oppurtonity he tries to do it but in vain. I like the book because of the enviroment and the evolution of nature. The various attacks and the dead of several Catachan soldiers. I like that. (In my personal feelings I hope our Mother Nature one days rise and kills the vampires that suck her blood, well I mean humans). In the end was a very interesting book and it draws a person into the world and mind of the Catachans.
In the end there are one question remaining (the question about what happened to Baxtree and Lorenzo "Long Run" doesn't count) is why that particular enviroment needed the evolution step. And what happened to the world?

Well I am waiting for the next book IG , Rebel Winter by Steve Parker and Desert Raiders by Lucien Soulban.

I have a reclamation if you understand this way.. Why do the IG books only have 256 pages? I'm sad. Well I hope they continue with other Regiments.
- Armageddon Steel Legion
- Attilan Rough Riders
- Death Korps of Krieg
- Mordian Iron Guard
and others...

Comments