Review: Dead City - Joe McKinney


Book Dead City
Author Joe McKinney
Pages 288
Year 2006
Reading time 2 days
Rating 7.5 / 10
This review was taken from my former website www.perkunos.wordpress.com

“Battered by five cataclysmic hurricanes in three weeks, the Texas Gulf Coast and half of the Lone Star State is reeling from the worst devastation in history. Thousands are dead or dying – but the worst is only beginning. Amid the wreckage, something unimaginable is happening: a deadly virus has broken out, returning the dead to life – with an insatiable hunger for human flesh…Within hours, the plague has spread all over Texas. San Antonio police officer Eddie Hudson finds his city overrun by a voracious army of the living dead. Along with a small group of survivors, Eddie must fight off the savage horde in a race to save his family…There’s no place to run. No place to hide. The Zombie horde is growing as the virus runs rampant. Eddie knows he has to find a way to destroy these walking horrors…but he doesn’t know the price he will have to pay.”

I have this book on my possesion for some time but it was just laying there in the pile to read but never in the front… Last thursday I went to the hospital with my grandmother and pick a book in a hurry. This was what I got. I start reading and almost finish in th e same day. I’ve read dozens of zombies fiction and this one was neither on the top nor the botton. There were several things I didn’t enjoy but there were several things in it that made me want to read another book by the same author. I’ve read in http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com/ that the author will be releasing another book next year.

Now the book… The story is on the first person and the main character is Eddie Hudson, a police of San Antonio (USA). He was on duty and was called because of disturbances. Arriving on the scene he sees the havoc created by the zombies. We don’t get to know why there are zombies. It’s speculated that it could have been because of the five hurricanes striking a zone and the moving of millions of people. The plot evolves as we see Eddie trying to go home to his wife and child while meeting several people that helps him (or not). We get to see the destruction of San Antonio step by step. The plot is always moving forward and in no way you feel it dragging. We get to know another characters but not for long. In the end, it was in my opinion, the weakest part. I think he could made much more but played safe… maybe he wasn’t counting in writing another book. Nevertheless it was a good book to read but as I said… it wasn’t the best zombie fiction I’ve read.

Let us see that this 4 year wait is worthwhile.

Comments