Book Review: Realms of the Underdark by Various


Title - Realms of the Underdark
Author - Various
Year 1996
Stand Alone or series - Short Stories Collection
Pages - 345
Rating 8/10

 

Summary
The Underdark
Beneath the surface of Faerûn lies a whole different world.
A world of drow, deep gnomes, and other denizens of the dark.
A world of cities like Menzoberranzan and Skullport, of warriors and rogues like Drizzt Do'Urden and Liriel Baenre and numerous others.
Leave the security of the surface world and seek out the darkness that lies below.
Welcome to the Realms of the Underdark.


Review
The Fires of Narbondel - Mark Anthony - 75pag
A Slow Day in Skullport - Ed Greenwood - 67pag
Rite of Blood - Elaine Cunningham - 63pag
Sea of Ghosts - Roger E Moore - 51pag
Volo Does Menzo - Brian M Thomsen - 36pag

The Fires of Narbondel - Mark Anthony - The first story was the best one as well. This story follows the mythical father of Drizzt; Zaknafein Do'Urden in his quest to find a dagger to Malice, the Matron mother of Do'Urden house as to gain Lloth's favor. This author Mark Anthony portrayed exemplary the small passages of Drizzt as Zaknafein. I really hope that he had done a book on this character/house but unfortunally after 15 years I doubt it will ever be published. There is also an important thing on this story. Drizzt meets even if unware Lloth. As I said the writer really can do Drows. I have fail to met any fault on this story. I think this author should have been brought to write in sixth book series War of the Spider Queen 10/10.

A Slow Day in Skullport - Ed Greenwood. Last time I tried a story by him I didn't enjoy it. This one was no better even if it was a little more ease to follow. There are several poiny of views as they quest to the underdark to try their luck on a Beholder. I must say I didn't understant half of what was happenning. At least Elminster appeared as well as Shandril. Both of them own their own series. Another good point was the Beholder. 4/10

Rite of Blood - Elaine Cunningham - I have yet to read a full novel written by her. This story focus on the early years of Liriel Baenre which have her own story. She is the daughter of Gromph Baenre who is the archmage of Menzoberranzan. Liriel is highly gifted and her tutor, Xandra, is jeoulous of her. As Liriel goes into the trial of The Blooding that every drow must pass, she is set against a powerful human wizard of Thay. This story is quite good I learn about drows and their religion. Not only Lloth but her counterpart of Elistrae. As Liriel grows up she is turn into a drow and as the first story of Drizzt I get the feeling that the drow society work and how they end up the way the are. Twisted and Evil. I will be looking for her trilogy. 10/10.

Sea of Ghosts - Roger E Moore  In this story we get to know a deep gnome Wykar and a derro called Geepo as they search a treasure. I must say I couldn't get into this story. I will not give a rating right now. I will try again later in the year.

Volo Does Menzo - Brian M Thomsen - This story is about a cook called Percival Gallard Woodehous and Volo (the one with all the sourcebooks) as they journey to Menzoberranzan. This is a story that was a funny read. The only bad thing if you can call it that it's the characterization of the two drows on this story. They are dumb as orcs in my opinion. Percival and Volo are great characters and the story is quite fun. I really hope for another Percival and Volo story. 7.5/10

In the end I would advice anyone who loves drows to read this book. I think this is a great beginning for all the books with drows out there. Drizzt, Liriel, War of the Spider Queen and Lady Peninent. Probably there are more...

Comments