Audiobook Review: The Blessing of Iron by Anthony Reynolds

The Blessing of Iron The Blessing of Iron by Anthony Reynolds
My rating: 8 of 10 stars

Well, if this isn't grimdark I don't know what is.

This tale is set on a moon where the Iron Hands are trying to quench a rebellion and protecting an instalation of the Adeptus Mechanicus. We follow Brother Dolmech as he contemplate, first his existence and then how he sees the imperfect humankind (bag of bones, full of emotion). We follow him as he tries to join his brethern and at the same time protecting Beneficiari Armicus whom he sees a good example of dedication to the machine-god and contemplates giving the Blessing of Iron. At the same time there are Dark Angels about...

Now for the Blessing of Iron... I thought it would be a good thing but... his arms are removed and given augmetics, is mind-swiped (lobotomy) and he his transformed into a servitor which Dolmech (And the other Iron Hands space marines) see him as a perfect being. Why? I understand that to be more machine than human is good in their eyes. But to me only a machine without a human reasoning would be a good thing? Well... Probably if they have AI.

Nevertheless a good tale, one that made me want to read more of them but my only problem was the switching from first person to third person perspective... It didn't have a paragraph. It just changed and changed again. Quite annoying...

View all my reviews

Comments