Anime Review: Koi wa Ameagari no You ni (Winter 2018)

I love romances. I know. I am black metal guy but I always loved Romances. And this show was marvelous until the last episode. It made me drop my innitial rating of 10 to 9 (which is awesome by the way) but unfortunately I cannot and will not put the same rating of Tsuki Ga Kirei.
Lets start with the animation and sound... Perfect perfect perfect. Wit Studio really shines here. They are probably my favorite studio. I love Owari no Seraph (was the first anime I watch since I return to anime in the end of 2015). Really enjoy Attack on Titan and Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. I am going to start watching Mahoutsukai no Yome which true be told as amazing art; and probably later I will watch Hoozuki no Reitetsu. So no problems in that department... when Akira was thinking of Kondou and animation that appear in forms of raindrops and bubbles with the accompanying sound was truly majestic. For s company usually focus on fantasy I think it work pretty well...

First of all - let me say that after watching the last four or five episodes I can honestly say this show is about Romance BUT more about Drama. This is also about following your own dreams. Kondou in writing and reading and Akira struggling to understand what it means to be happy and to acknowledge that sometimes you have to start over to get there...

Either way, I will recommend to anyone who enjoys Romance and Drama. More mature and "real" than Tsuki Ga Kirei no doubt. Nevertheless and unfortunately it fails like most animes focus on Manga that are still ongoing... They have no true ending and as a person who usually doesn't read Manga I start reading this one...


But I am going ahead of myself. The story focus on two characters. Akira Tachibana & Kondou. The first is 17 years old and former track runner who unfortunately gave up after some injury in tendon heel. The other one is Kondou a  45 year old divorced guy and has a child.

Basically after she enters his cafe and he shows concern and kindness toward her she quickly develop feelings for her and start working on the cafe to be more near of him. Thus start the story...

Some romances shows focus with young teens are boring because they are scared to tell the other person they love him. I initial thought that shy girl will also take her time to say she likes him but alas she was quick.  As the episodes progress so we learn more about her feelings and what he thinks of her... the show could go either way - either they got together surpassing the problems of age difference OR Kondou (the adult one) will understand it was wrong and she was felling for him because she was escaping other stuff. He hints at that some time...

And thus enter episode 7 a turn point and probably ONE of the most beautiful moments in anime history. So beautiful I almost cry...

But lets back up... Akira is a female runner who has I said had an accident and I think she alianates herself from the rest of her class (we rarely see her talking to anyone). The only girl she talks is Haruka (another female tracker) but because Haruka keeps running I think they grow apart (even if first Akira and then Haruka try to reconnect). And then at a crucial moment (probably a bit of depression since running was her dream) Kondou help her out and she became enamored with him. But I don't think, right from the start, it was real honest love but rather changing one goal with another. Like sometimes people that go to psychiatrists and such might think they are in love with them because they are "saving" them. But after a couple of first episodes they go on a date and it's pretty easy to root for them - even with that age difference.

The ending, well... it was hard to me to watch it. One part wanted them to be together and another part knew that probably Akira feelings are not tottaly true and Kondou (a gentle guy) would get hurt.


Comments