Thoughts XXXV: Generic Main Characters in Anime

One of the reasons I critizize animes is because of the main protagonists. As I am watching To Aru Majutsu no Index I feel that this main character is a lot like other main characters on animes. Generic White Knights who don't know how to give up, and even put themselves at risk while overcoming odds that are impossible to achieve. This upsets me a lot. That's why in novels I like grimdark fantasy where the main characters have flaws, they can even have very bad traits. Most are anti-heroes or even evil doers (40K I'm looking at you).

These main characters are all the same. They fight save and have harems. There are absurd amount of animes with these characters. That's why I gave up on this anime and I was trying to finish I remember why I had previously given up.

There are very few shows who can get away with this - Dan Machi is one of them.

Look at Rising of Shield Hero; Re:Zero - both main characters have a lot of flaws - and that's w reason why people love them. Why can't the authors understand this?

Comments