Reviews: Dragonlance


When I started reading fantasy I only knew the Dragonlance world. It started with the Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. I still remember reading the trilogy Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning and Dragons of Summer Flame. I remember vividly. It was one of the first pieces of collection in my library. With almost two thousand books I can say library or not? With spectacular characters like the evil magician Raistlin Majere or his naive Caramon Majere; Tanis the half elf with a pyscological problems; Sturm Brightblade the wanna-be knight. The grumby dwarf Flint or the barbarians Goldmoon and Riverwind or one of the most enduring characters the Kender Tassheloff . Besides Raistlin this one is the only interesting character worth reading again and again. I've made a review on a Raistlin book. Well it was my first post so if you read it you will understand.
After reading this three books I start hunting others but in portuguese there weren't any more. So I bought in english. Time of the Twins, War of the Twins and Test of the Twins came after. This three books dealt with the twins Caramon and Raistlin Pretty good.

Afterwards I read Soulforge and Brother in Arms that dealt with the Raistlin youth. One of my favourite novels of all time. And probably the only book I read several times. Then when my hunger was not saciated I start reading other books by other writers: Brothers Majere, The Companions, Dark Heart, (this three ones dealt with the companions each own adventures). Then read Spirit of the Wind and Legacy of Steel after the War of the Lance depicting in those four new books. When there weren't any more books to read at that time about the Companions I read from that world other books Fistandantilus Reborn, The Siege of Mt Nevermind, The War of the Lance, The Legend of Huma and The Citadel.

Couple of years later I return with Dragons of Fallen Sun, Dragons of a Lost Star and Dragons of Vanished Moon. This three books only had the sons of our characters because most of them had already died. The only two remaining are Tassheloff and Raistlin in the end. Besides the last couple of chapters in the last book the books didn't appeal to me. I was devastated. Afterall this world gave me Fantasy.

I have more three books waiting here to be read. It was the comeback to that world by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman created. Unfortunally I am with a step back with this three books. Maybe is just a way to make money or something like that. Dragonlance is dying in my opinion. Only a handful of books are released per year. I think that's why they made the writers return with the Companions... Let us see what happens.

Comments