Review: Earthworm Gods: Selected Scenes from the End of the World - Brian Keene

Earthworm Gods: Selected Scenes from the End of the World Earthworm Gods: Selected Scenes from the End of the World by Brian Keene
My rating: 8 of 10 stars

I was going to write a lengthening review but with 32 stories it would be a bit fruitless.

I read this book before reading Earthworm Gods II. That will be my next Keene's book.

Most this stories add something to the mythology or at least add something to the previous novel.

The first and last story are just one story and interlinks with at least another two stories. The interesting part is that most of these stories interlinked with others making it a "Mosaic" novel (?).

Keene takes advantages of these small stories to add beasts to his Earthworm beasts but in my opinion with so many adversities it will be hard to anyone to survive (which isn't that bad because Keene is know to have bleak endings - to my liking I must add).

One minor thing I felt a bit annoying where some of the characters - I count at least ten characters (in the 32 tales) that loved books or had cats. I know Keene characters were drawn from real persons but... at the same time some characters from some tales looked too much alike.

In the end I enjoy the tales - expect most stories with grim endings, some with somewhat more happy (if you can call it that). If you follow Keene's work then you won't be disappointed. If you are new - this probably is no the best place to start. Start with Earthworm Gods or The Rising

View all my reviews

Comments