October Horror Fest - 12/31 Book Review: Best of Weird Tales

 I cannot give more than two stars because I didn't enjoy the majority of the stories.


Well, first of all I expect more on the vein of HP Lovecraft, Robert E Howard or Clark Ashton Smith and the likes but true be told some didn't really hook me.

The only one that really go full Lovecraftian (an I am talking half-full) was Brian's Lumley story.

The best story by far was Tanith's Lee Death Dances. So much that I immediately grab some of her other titles and made into my to be read list (not now, but near future). As I read I was transported to Conan's world and my mind went full Sword and Sorcery.

The second best was Karl Edward Edgar. It seems he could not give up on Kane and now Kane is in London and a mystery/adventure stories unfolds. If you have read his fantasy stories and you want to visit Kane again go here.

Kudos also to Brunner and Ian R Macleod.

Then others were just plain boring like Gene Wolfe's , Harry Turtledove, Tad Williams etc... Maybe it was just me but they didn't captivate me.


Comments