October Horror Fest - 30/31 - Book Review: Sepulturum - Nick Kyme (Black Library)

Mr Kyme book is a mess I may say.

I don't know if this is fruit of our time, where everyone want to appease everyone out there, or this are just his personal beliefs but If I wanted to know his personal beliefs and opinions I would read his autobiographic stuff or wikipedia...

Although I am reading this novel because I enjoy 40K universe; I enjoy Horror & Zombies (and their variants).

Black Library has been releasing some novels where the authors feel that they can put nowadays politics in them - and Black Library is enable them after all. Games Workshop is another company with this. I don't mind you writing about colour characters or lgbt characters WHEN they are indeed characters and not footnotes so you can proudly boast in Twitter "Yeah my book as a LGBT POC character.. Don't cancel me".

Page 37 of Hardback book

"Sirens wailed throughout Meagre. Proctors marched the streets, a veritable army of bastards, bellowing through loudhailers and herding the scared populace like cattle. Curfew had been ordered. Citizens ran for their domiciles with the fervour of rats fleeing fire. Mothers clutched babes to their chests. Weak and fearful men looked to their own safety. Families huddle close, desperate to stay together. The churn of humanity ploughed ahead in a nervous mob, obeying the blaring of the horns, willingly ignorant of the false protection the proctors offered." - This is narrator opinion, not some of the characters...

There are other instances and I may be reading more than it is BUT alas, that's what felt to me - And in the end that's what matter.

Overall, the book is a mess, the characters moving around - a lot more characters than a 240 novel should have. At times I was confused who was who. He could have focused on Cristo and Morgravia but besides these there were other characters that focus on other characters. In the end I couldn't connect to any of the characters.

So, the all amnesia trope is here and in the end we get some information I needed but I really thought that there was more stuff that miss me - maybe Nick wrote a short story of some sorts connected to this? I don't know...

Overall I couldn't enjoy the novel.

It will not be my last Nick Kyme story but I am disappointed nevertheless. My reading time is limited as any of us - and I never once dropped a Black Library novel (and I've read 150+) and have all them - more than 600 books (in paper). But maybe I must rethink my focus and if I don't enjoy one drop it as I do in non-BLack Library novel.

Comments