Book Review: Between Two Fires - Christopher Buehlman


I didn't enjoy as much as other people it seems.

First of all it's flagged as horror but it is really not. It's not horror. Maybe Dark Fantasy? If I had to make a genre it's a pseudo-historical fantasy.

This is set in the hundred years war where the black plague was striking mixing with war between angels vs demons (interestingly it's almost the same vibe as Time of Legends: Joan of Arc. True be told that was the main reason I start reading the novel. I had the novel but never really got the time and availability to read it. Then I back the game and so it was a pretext. I started reading in January of 2018 and finish August of 2020. (Almost as the same time to deliver the kickstarter haha). Sorry for the joke... true and sad.

In this novel we follow Thomas (a knight) which founds a young girl who says that all this plague and war is part of something more divinal. They soon depart and met a priest and together go to fulfill the girl dream (deliriuim). Most of the novel it's about this journey - very reminiscent of Joan D' Arc).

This novel it's easy to read but at times the pace, scenario, talk change so much that was hard to say without a doubt what was real or not. Sincerely at times was confusing.

In terms of story and landscape the author really know how to create atmosphere. The plot could have been more elaborated and I believe they've spent much time on the travel and less on the final confrontation. There were times I asked myself why x or y character did the thing they did.

The travels at times, remind me of deadly sins , I could name it at least 4 but probably the remaining I wasn't paying attention. I will not read it again (so much books to read). Maybe in several decades. I will not dispose of the book that for sure.

With all mysticism and angels vs demons we really didn't get the conclusion I hoped. I hope more epic conclusion but alas...

All in all, it was a enjoyable read, the scenes are truly good, the characters have flaws and still we root for them. As I said, my mine gripe was the flow of the tale.

Comments