Book Review: BloodLines - Chris Wraight

 


I've just finish this tale.
Well, my innitial thoughts, around 50 pages or so was... It looks like I am watching a Judge Dredd kind of story. Knowing the connection between Black Library, Black Flame (and old imprint that made some Judge Dredd novels) I thought that maybe this was it.

Black Library has now several brands
40K (both old and new); Horus Heresy; Age of Sigmar (plus the 170 novels in Warhammer Fantasy); Blood Bowl; Necromunda; Time of Legends (now ended); BlackStone fortress & Warcy novels.
Of course how to go even further? Lets create Horror & Crime. It's like having several companies within and putting out there 3 dozen novels per year or more if you cont all novellas, short stories and all others.... Imagine you want to read everything they put out? It's impossible. Unless you don't read anything else. Even more it's nigh impossible on finances.

The other thing that upsets me is the way they release books...
I bought Lukas the Trickster & Legacy of the wolfen (Cursen of Wolfen & Legacy of Russ). Now they are releasing Sagas of Space Wolves The Omnibus that encompases "Ragnar Blackmane", "Curse of the Wulfen", "Legacy of Russ" and "The Hunt for Logan Grimnar" as well as the novellas "Blood on the Mountain and Arjac Rockfist". Now why did you put outt Legacy of Wulfen? 10€ to trash? Or I wont read everything of Space Wolves. This is a good technique but it's a crappy one. You pray on people who purchase every single novella or book and then . OKay here it is plus something new.

Enfin, I am goinjg astray with my thoughts. We debating on this...

This book is a solid novel. Is it good? It has some parts that interested me and it will have impact on all other novels set on Crime. First the Houses behind, the politics, the setting, the serpent stuff. All of these are very interesting.

Varangantua is an interesting setting. It's very 30's vibe. It's very old school crime stories vibe. But let's be true. If you could change some key words this story could have been done in another setting. This author could have change stuff and presented as a new world for him to explore. Remove "By His Hand"; remove some key imperium names and voila. You've got a new world. Some people call it Domestic 40K but to me it's not. It's another setting that will probably get a new boardgame after the innitial success of the novels and there you go.

The all Iris stuff; the cars; the guns etc - all felt so detached from the 40K we know that at times I couldn't see being in a 40K universe.

Now, it is bad? No, of course it's not. Probator Agusto Zidarov it's a nice interesting trouble character. It's family looked real; the all police interaction between different Probators felt interesting. The all corrupted society including the "police". All was interesting.

The pace itself was fine although a bit repetitive.
What I really loved was the all cult stuff. Are they chaos? They don't feel like it althought I've check a website and they are branded as Chaos. To me look like another theology stuff that God Emperor is everywhere - the all church vs Christianity stuff we see in some thrillers . To me it was the top of the book, although they didn't dwell much on it.

I will continue to to read other stuff from this setting including the new release No Good Men. I hate that title.

Should you read it? Yes. If not because it's different from normal 40K novels. As I would also advise reading a 40K horror story. They are all in the same setting so it's cool to go a bit further from the Grimdark and try other genres... You've got a bit of comedy with Cain, chidlren book; so what's the next setting BL?

 

Comments