Book Review: First and Only - Dan Abnett (Gaunt's Ghosts)

This was the second time I've read the novel. The first time was in 2007 (one of the first novels I've read for Black Library) and now. Since I didn't follow with the rest of the series I thought about it and said to myself I would start reading when all finish. We now have all novels so it's a good time to start reading.


This is the first book in 15 novel series plus an anthology. There is also the Double Eagle which is not part of Gaunt BUT it was set on the Sabbat Crusade. IT focus on areal war - highly influenced on Battle of Britain. I believe Titanicus is also set there but I can't confirm for sure.


In this tale we are introduced to Gaunt and his ghosts. One of the most interesting parts is that this is a combination of stories mix with very short stories that connect the dots.

Each story was quite different and I didn't expect that. BUT it was very very entertaining. First of all, I believe this novel set the tone for the coming books (that I have no doubt) but since it was one of the first novels produced by BL it set the tone for Black Library overall.

Dan Abnett it's a great writer, I also have no doubt of it. Gilead's Dead; Double Eagle, Brothers of the Snake and Riders of the Dead are all very good (all 5 stars). (although not totally by him but Darkblade 5 books are a must - Hammers of Ulric is divided for 3 writers and it's really awesome). The only ones I didn't really got into was I am Slaughter and Fell Cargo, and even those are very good. I've read Fell Cargo 10 years ago - more, and I still remember most of the plot.

I have no doubt that he is one of the best of Black Library writers. Unfortunately he is not as prolific as he was in the golden days. Alas...

Imagine a 2 World War setting; now imagine an Commissar (but not one that kills needlessly) and a group of militar personal (around 3000) and the last of their world. When they all died, they world will be just a footnote... Never forget Tanith.
Due to their world geography and fauna they are experts scouts but due to politics they are thrown into the fray and thick of it.

This story begins when a message is intercepted by an astropath and from that moment each story as I said is as different as the last but all with this information in the mix of it. We've got car chases, trenches wars, mystery chase within a massive ship. There are a lot of rivalry inter-regiments and they are more destructive than the proper fight against the cultists and chaos. Have I told you that the baddies are Chaos? They are. Dan Abnett DELIBERATELY don't let us know much of the adversaries because the imperial guard echelons and rivalry are more destructive.

I didn't know ao STL template was, and the importance into he great scheme of things.
Of course they talk about it BUT after reading a hundred books plus pages and pages of info dump I finally have a good grasp of the importance of the discovery. I would have no doubt that If the prize for the Sabbat Worlds Campaign was this STL it would very understandable. Killing an entire world would not be so inconceivable so the death of regiment wouldn't even be an issue. 

Comments