Book Review: Raven - Charles L Grant

Raven Raven by Charles L. Grant
My rating: 4 of 10 stars

This two stars have a reason. The writing is fantastic no doubt about it but I didn't enjoy the characters and the ending.

I felt that most of the book was a little confusing. I will explain now. There isn't a single chapter. The book is separated for paragraphs and one paragraph you are following Neil and the other you are following Julia or Ken or Trish or Brandt or Mandy or even our Main antagonist (but this one was the easier).

Thats why I couldn't enjoy more of the book. I am sorry because I had good hopes for it.

Everyone of the eight characters a backstory (ones more developed than others) and something that interconnect them all.

Our main antagonist was vague and emotionless (for a reason). The ending was good I think but didn't save my savouring of the book.

I will read other books by Charles L Grant whom I consider an excelent prose writer... Examples:

Past sunset in early February, the worst time of the year. Too far from Christmas and too far from spring. Too cold. Too quiet. The light, never strong, too soon gone. Trees without leaves, scarred back, empty nests, fading into the dark; weeds along the roadside, trembling stiffly, shedding burrs, flaring in passing headlights, and fading into the dark; house lights and streetlamps and traffic signals growing brighter, growing brittle, trying desperately, and failing, not to fade into the dark.
No Snow.
No wind.
The landscape grey and dead.


View all my reviews