Book Review: Nightfall - Daniel Barnett (Nightmareland 1) (October Horror Fest 22/31)


Author: Nightfall 
Book: Daniel Barnett
Year: 2020
Pages: 140
Part of Series: Nightmareland Chronicles #1 (of 12)
Reading Time: 18/10/2021 to 20/10/2021 (3 days)
Rating: 8 Stars

Well, it was a very odd novel. Pretty short with only 140 pages but fast paced. I've read it within 3 days - although I was reading other novel in-between.

So, what this is about? Well, first of all, this is the first novel in a 12 book series , and even the author says in the afterword, don't expect explanations and the whys in the first novel. This is something that will appear in due time - one thing that worries me is that the author is getting behind his schedule. When this book was out he said that he had written 5 novels. It's not 1 year and half later and still nothing was release apart from book 5. So, what is happening?  Or is he going to publish another 2 or 3 in one go? Who knows...
I would understand the thing of publish a novella length novel every 3 months or so BUT I can't understand the logic in terms of money to publish 5 in quick fashion and then nothing for a year... Nothing against authors taking their time - I wish he publish so I could read a novella 3 months. I don't like waiting a year for a novel. That's why I never read series that are not finish.

So, what's this book about? Well it's the setting stone for us to meet John Hawthorne. A 50/60's year old violent guy who is trying to live is life (almost in penitence) until this all the Sun Vanished situation. We also get more about Mariah a bartender and love(ish) partner of John.

This novel was indeed the setting and introducing the characters. Nothing else. We get a bit about the lives of people in this land without the sun. Nothing is explain. But it seems people are getting a bit.. crazy?

I will try reading the next 4 novellas in the next few months..

PS: Forgot to mention that this story first brought to my attention due to the vanishing sun... have you ever heard or follow the ARG Vanish Sun? It's very cool ARG. One of the first that brought me into this new world...

Comments