Book Review: This Present Darkness by Frank E Peretti (1986) (October Horror Fest 29/31)

Author: 
Frank E. Peretti
Book: This Present Darkness
Year: 1986
Pages: 508
Part of Series: 1 of 2
Genre: Thriller, Horror
Reading Time: 13 October to 28 October 2021
Rating: 4 Stars


Here is a novel that I should have enjoyed more than I did.

This novel is 500 pages long where it should be 350 tops.

I will not dwelt much on criticisms a bout the message - angels vs demons (Christianity vs new age spirituality, Islamic faith and well any kind of philosophy without Christ).

A writer can write whatever they want. One thing to me is pandering to some fringe ideology when your novel has nothing to do with (just because you want to tick boxes) another is a writer saying he defends X or Y and writes about it. As a reader I may read it or not. My Choice!

So I will not dwelt much on that but there are some stuff here that I cannot stop feeling. If angels and demons exist then one must think what action they have on society or a person in particular. When I feel hate = is it because some demon of hate is inhabit me? I think not. (The same applies with good stuff). This removes responsibility from human and gives faith is seal another meaning no? After all, if demons and angels control and that's why you do X or Y then anything you decide, can you really say it was you?

Now about the novel, basically a group of people (commanded by demons) want to change a city to be their kingdom but, alas, you've got a priest and a journalist who are trying to thwart their plans. Now you've got 250 to 300 pages of repetitive actions until the final confrontation.

In the end, did the characters grow? I Think not because they were guided by demons and angels...

So, if you are Christian, you may even enjoy the comfort of knowing angels are always there. Anyone else will not enjoy- me thinks. And now I have book two, damnation...

Comments