Book Review: Dark Hollow - Brian Keene (The Levi Stoltzfus Series)

Not the cover of the book I have but better
Author: Brian Keene
Book: Dark Hollow
Year: 2006
Pages: 305
Part of Series:
The Levi Stoltzfus Series #1 (HAHA - No it's not)
Reading Time:  5 days (Between February and March of 2022)
Rating: 7 Stars

I am undecided between 7 or 8 stars. First of all, the all being Levi Stolzfus is wrong. That character doesn't appear in this book at all, unless it has an alias. 

Well, so what is this book about? This book deals with a couple of normal people dealing with a supernatural element.  Adam Senft is the main character. He is a writer dealing with several frustrations at the same time, first not being able to start a new novel; second being sexual frustration due to the alienation of his wife. They were happy married but after two pregnancy that went very wrong they start distance themselves, slowing drifting apart sexually.

In that street there are a bunch of people, the bachelor of 40's, the elderly couple, the funny guy who recently lost his wife (not dead but she cheated on her and left him) and so on.

Right from the bat, we get thrown into some weird stuff - 

"It was on the first day of spring that Big Steve(dog) and I saw Shelly Carpenter giving head to the hairy man"

This is the first line, and the book starts showing us  what is happening and so on. Not that graphic. I saw Brian Lee Durfee review and I Think he never read splatter horror stuff. this is pretty mild in my opinion.

So basically from this moment on, people start disappearing, hooves (like in goats and such) starts appearing nearing houses and other small stuff happens like pipes music being heard and everyone getting aroused and such. What we get from each consequent chapter is that group of people trying to find out what is happening connecting to the great Mythos Brian Keene created (although very mildly - you don't need to read anything by him to understand).

Is it good? Is it worthy? 

Welll, yes and no. If you've read like me a dozen of his novels, then yes, it's worth to see one more book within that mythos - although after reading it I find it fairly skippable since the links are very few. In regard of horror novel per se, I've read better and worse. If you want to start reading a brian Keene novel I wouldn't start with this one and go to the City of the Dead/Rising duology or even the conqueror worms. They are way better and  really connect to the his mythos. The Darkness Edge of Town as well. Enfin,  I will read the second - Ghost Walk in the coming months.

IF you are asking me, is it graphic nudity/sex scenes or gore? 

Some spoilers ahead

I don't think so. There are some sex scenes with satyrs (beastiality?). There are some depicting scenes of horror and gore but nothing that much detailed. I've read far worse.  His despiction of Shelly is awesome - wish I could see her in real life.


Comments