Book Review: Extinction - Ray Hammond

Author: Ray Hammond
Book: Extinction
Year: 2005
Pages: 600
Part of Series: Solo 
Reading Time: 5 days (25 to 30 May of 2022)
Rating: 8.5 stars


Here we go. I started this novel on pure change. This novel was one of those schedule to read after I read the priority ones like 800 novels in the future - probably never.

I was rearranging my bookshelves and open this novel... On that page it talk about the demise of Azores which is in my country and there and then I decided I would read the novel. I was not mistaking. It took me 4 days to read 600 pages. Which is quite good for me.

Well so what this is about? Well if you have seen 2012 or the day after tomorrow you know the kind. Humanity in the future has been building weather stations and controlling the weather through a megacorporation.

This will have some spoilers...

They make rain and sun and all other type of weather to the highest bidder. So of course some people/countries suffer. Don't know how the world would accept that (united nations , china etc). Meanwhile the earth his suffering more eruptions, more strange behaviours from earth. People, some theory conspiracy guys, think it's due to the controlling stuff but they have no power for investigation. There is also a small plot dealing with people living on giant islands made of interconnected ships - they are the new refugees that no-one wants.

Meanwhile we meet our main protagonists. Michael a divorcee with two children and Emilia Knight a geologist. She encounters Michael son which is mathematic brain/astronomy and tell her about the changing stars. They find that the earth is moving - well the magnetic pole. Almost four hundred pages we deal with this investigation, some small cataclysms events, some thriller dealing with spies and so on.

The last 100 pages we are on the moon with USA president and now we see everything unfold - earth is completely destroyed but unfortunately the author doesn't dwell much on that. 20 pages to go and earth is lost or is it?

Of course the writter wanted to give us some pointers - first is the all man over nature stuff. We can't control weather or make companies do that lest we fall as humans. Then the all refugees stuff and plot. Remember The day after tomorrow? IS the same stuff. There is some sad stuff there (not the planet being destroyed) and some joy.

I enjoy the novel. Not going to my favourite list because everything here I've seen before. I believe this highly based on the the early 00's when a lot of movies like this were coming out.

I believe scientific speaking it sounds good but probably only a academic can say if everything here can happen. What I know is that the Chinese want to built something to make night turn day and to be honest that preocupies me. I can see the appeal but humanity and animals and plants live on a day/night cycle. They are not used to full day or night. Even in the nordic countries where that happen but can that explain the high suicide rate? Who knows...

What I can say it's a four stars but a weak 5. Like 8.5,

Recommended?

If you enjoy post apocalyptic novels go for it. If you want a more thriller stuff don't.

Comments