Book Review: Open Season - C J Box

Author: C J Box

Book: Open Season
Year: 2001
Pages: 328
Part of Series: 1st of a series (21 so far)
Reading Time: 7 days (1 to 7 January 2022)
Rating: 8 stars 

I will rate this book a 8.5 (so technically it's four stars but it's my ratings...)

I usually don't read this kind of novels of police procedure, mystery and crime. But after Brian Lee Durfee reviews I had to tried so I bought one and read it as the first novel of the year and I really enjoyed. First of all C J Box really know how to develop characters. You've got here Joe Pickett a perfect kind of guy, do gooder and a lovely father and husband. But as a story progress he meets adversities and although he sticks with his principles he knows that things have to change and he is willing to change to support his family. You really get to know him and his feelings.
Marybeth Pickett the lovely perfect wife - unfortunately didn't get much screen time but sure has her daemons - her mother being one and the two daughters Sheridan & Lucy while Lucy was just barely mentioned we get to know a lot of Sheridan 9 years of old and she was center piece to the story.

You are introduced to Wacey & Vern Dunnegan (the colleague and the mentor). There are a couple of more characters that I believe will be more develop in future books including April Keeley.

Why spoilers ahead?
Because I am going to talk about spoilers - this book was a criticism of American view on endangered species and control of them. So, you've got this endangered weasel and all of this novel is due to them. Basically the people who live there know if they find out that weasel (not a real one - although was based on really endangers ones) the law will do everything to protect it and people from the towns will lose jobs and even houses. To an extant I find that very interesting and hope is really true. Unfortunately there are so many intervenient within the govern that there isn't a centre of operations - you know the right hand is moving and the left one doesn't know (it's a saying in Portugal). MAybe it's the problem that USA is so vast that the rules that apply in one county/state don't make much sense in the other ? Like Portugal & Spain and latin brothers but we've got many differences and how we approach stuff - sorry I digress.

What I enjoy is that it's a solid novel with an end but I want to know more. How did the family recuperate the losing of an unborn child? I hope one future novel focus more on the couple. How did Sheridan overcome this tribulation after all, she was in the center and she blames herself for her mother taking a show and losing a child. And Pickett in the midst. Let us hope to see more of this. I will buy 2 & 3. If I love them I will continue, there are 22

Comments