Book Review: Kothar and the Wizard Slayer - Gardner Francis Fox

Author: Gardner Francis Fox
Book: Kothar and the Wizard Slayer
Year: 1970
Pages: 109
Part of Series: 5th novel in Kothar Series (5/5)
Reading Time: July 2022 (2 days)
Rating: 4 Stars

This is the last novel on the series... So let me just say overall, I wouldn't advice it to anyone. This series try to be something that clearly it's not.

Just because you mention strange lands or strange powerful demons, wizards and give names to the swords it's just boring. Things have to have substance.

Imagine that I say - I am writing this review with Lapiseira on the paper taken from the Ruri Forest that is situated in the lands of Kiea that lie beyond the eldritch sea of Raganost... It's fluff-but also boring and gives nothing of history.. it's just names. That's how I felt through the five novels. Some names were explain BUT the vast majority not. Then it's the all timeframe.. It's 50,000 years ago, it's five millions years ago - damn nobody will remember anything that happen 5000 and I am not thinking about 50000 or 5000000. It makes no sense. Then the technology - yeah fighting with swords and bows but then they have machines from the old times? To me , it seems this tales are in the future where we turn primitives - like Robert E. Howard predicted.

This tale we got to see Red Lori again and she has great impact on this tale. It almost seem Red Lori and the Wizard Slayer instead of Kothar.

But not all is bad to be honest. I liked how it ended but overalll is a bad entry. Looking bad in terms of rating (10 stars) I gave 6 / 5 / 4 / 5 / 4.

Read this if you want short reads inbetween those mammoth epic fantasy series and if you enjoy sword and sorcery. But if you enjoy it I would advice going to DMR books and grab and handful of them. You got several anthologies, Byron Roberts two novels, D M Ritzlin -Necromancy in Nilztiria, Edmond Hamilton, J Christopher Tarpey and my favorite Schulyer Hernstrom.

Comments