Book Review: The Harrowed Paths - Anthology

Year: 2019
Pages: 311
Part of Series: Anthology 
Reading Time: 5 days
Rating: 7.5



Welcome to Warhammer Horror where the Horror is the normal day - after all, when you read Dead Men Walking and the horrors, hopelessness, the death of millions and the crush of human spirit - if that is not horror what is?

Here we have a compilation of stories - two are novellas and 5 short stories.
The first novella is The Colonel's Monograph by Graham Mcneill which I already reviewed here The Colonel's Monograph. It's set on 40K. I don't

As you know I haven't read that much of Sigmar Tales. I want to finish first warhammer fantasy. The only I've read are these set on these anthologies.
Five Candles by Lora Gray - Sigmar Tale is set on Ashq which is one of the realms in the new sigmar world stuff. I know they are4 proud and this tale really want to show that. I don't know this is horror.

Tesserae by Richard Strachan - Sigmar Tale - this one has Duardin (aka Dwarves). Around the fire tales and one finish with a bang.

Ghost Planet by Steven Sheil - 40K Let me explain something before - as I've said I've been reading warhammer 40k horror and there are has been some connections with Valgaast. The next three tales will mention Valgaast- in one it's a being, other a planet or other stuff. The first one I notice was The Bookkeeper's Skull - but I think I've notice this before. In this tale when the ship Endless Wrath explodes most people dies 5 people become stranded on a ship with no way of being rescued. When a new person arrives outside the ship with a promise of hope stuff goes sideways and thus horror elements

Pentimento by Nick Kyme - 40K is another story set in 40K in the same vein of those Warhammer crime brand. It's about a gruesome murder being committed and it has some interesting twist.

Bone Cutter by Darius Hinks - 40K - A world being ravaged by plagues where two women a baby try to reach safety. I am not going to spoil anything but the end was a bit predictable BUT I am not saying it's not good.

Into Dark Water by Jake Ozga - Sigmar Tale - This is the second novella but this one set on Sigmar universe. It was a very interesting read about Stormcast Eternal - Knight Questor. Basically we've got a Questor - and if you don't know what they are, they are basically task by Sigmar to perform somekind of quest - Killing someone, going to a place and retrieve something. In this take he was task to go to a place - a bit cryptic message/task. He meets an historian and with his help they travelled throughout the lands, battle enemies and such. One interesting set was the interaction between both characters; one a bit distress of the other, while the stormcast being stoic and almost expressionlessness. As the quest comes ever forward things start to change. It made me wonder and I couldn't find anywhere - since Stormcast Eternals are chose and when they died they are reforged. What does it mean? Does it mean they never die? Does it mean they are not human but soulless machines? Seeing this one I don't think they are soulless but how can anyone live their life knowing that they cannot die? The fear of death that makes you evolve, do unexpected stuff and so on would be absent, no? I don't know. I have to read more about stormcasts eternals.
Either way - very cool tale.

In the end I did enjoy the book. There are some weak stories but probably the novellas and Ghost Planet saved the da

Comments