Book Review: The Old Ones - P A Douglas

Year: 2013
Pages: 194
Reading Time: August 2022 (5 days)
Rating: 8 stars


AS you may know I Lovecraftian horror. It's one of my favorite types of horror so this month I try to read a couple of stories with that premise... This one, I've had for one year and I Thought it was time to read it. Short, under 200 pages so easy for a two day read or so.

This was a bit more focus on action that usually Lovecraftian tales are... In this tale we follow a couple of characters as they are dealing with the invasion of aquatic beings that are linked to a eldritch horror god from beyond the seas.

For those who expected something grandiose - well it's not here. This is run, hide, try to destroy the evil being - never really dwelling much on the lore- which is my favorite part of Lovecraftian tales BUT to be honest it felt good.

One thing that I expect from Lovecraftian horror is the ending - Lovecraftian tales to me, must be about hardships and usually ends with the demise or craziness of our main character(s).

So in this tale we follow a older man that has lost his wife and it's just basically holding on; we follow Max with his wife, a police officer, another older gentlemen that knows what is happening and a couple of other minor characters.

Let's go into spoiler, not because of the book but the final entry from the author ---- This is SPOILERS BEWARE

Why did he had to include that note to explain the reasoning of killing some of the characters? That's perfect man. You are the author. You decide and in my humble opinion you decide perfectly. It has that open-ending interesting on the Lovecraftian horror of old. I will see if I buy another of his novels since the are kind of cheap...

Comments