Book Review: The Ignored - Bentley Little

This is my 12th book I've read of Bentley Little. I've been enjoying a lot and he is one of my favourite horror writers. I've got all of this novels, I am buying the last two published by Cemetary Dance, unfortunately they are so expensive.

So as you can see, basically his novels are usually "The" and then something. And it's weird situations of normal stuff. What's so strange about the mailman? What's so strange about a housing association? Or a resort in the middle of nowhere? Or even the "store". Well.. it doesn't seem nothing is wrong until you read it.

He gives life and makes stuff weird of the normal stuff. My favourite of him, counting with this are the Association , The Collection, The mailman, the Store, Dispatch and now this one is 4 stars as well.

Basically Bentley little wrote this novel back in 1997 and he tackles a lot of stuff, including what men are going through nowadays of isolating themselves (I don't know the term) but in the beginning sure look something like that. People who are ignored and unloved they turn invisible then do awful things. Then Little being the writer he is gave it a couple of twists and it was something else.

Bentley really nails how people who feel ignored by the main groups and sometimes do stuff they don't want to fit it. That's one topic. The other topic is the endless drones we are working in offices, working to gain money but never really fitting in. Never really understanding what they do in the companies. I Work in a bank, now for 5 years, and this is so true that I know what I do in the systems but have no knowledge of the impacts or what does it mean in great scheme of things.

I see some people complaining about it dragged and it did. At times I Think the book could have been 100 pages less. BUT after arriving at the 150/200 page I read the remaining 200 pages in one go. Did I enjoy?

Some spoilers

I Didn't enjoy the ending, the mythos, the magic and so on... I would have preferred to have a a sociological pathology almost of people being so alien of the community that start disappearing. I would have enjoy more if that was the case. The value we as individual give ourselves to live in society. But then Great God Pan stuff was a bit contrived... (don't know if that's the word I Wanted to say).

End of spoilers

So, is it a good story? Yes.

Is it a horror stuff? No. It's not pure horror. It's more thriller, it's more creeping, psychological stuff but not Horror as he other novels like mailman or the Summoning. It's more like The Store & The Association. Yes I would and will flag as horror but don't expect scary stuff or so..

IT's a nice tale, not my favorite of him and not my first recommendation. For now that will be The Association. (I am re-reading the Resort)

Comments