Book Review: Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer

Dinosaur Beach Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer
Pages 151
Year 1971

I have finished. IT took me a while, I play videogames.
This is Daw book, number 21 and it was published back in 71.
So, what's this book about? If you have read the back cover, it has nothing to do with dinossaurs. They appear 1 or 2 pages and are barely there. The Dinoussaur beach is a a beach where the time travellers have their HQ. From there they go, through time, changing stuff. Well not changing, our main protagonist (Ravel) is a third generation time traveller which is solving the problems created by the first two eras. It's a simple book, fast pace. It has 40 chapters in 150 pages and it's okay book.

BUT I have a problem with Time Travels and this book really brought the issue back. If I went back in time and kill person X, then a second age from far into the future went bacck to stop me from killing person X. How does this work? Killing X (I know you all want to kill Hitler, so let's go with Stalin). I am in a future and go back and kill Stalin - right from the bat our timeline would be different (better or worse) , would my timeline even exist at all? Then how the second guy would know he had to act, because if he is in the future but acting on the past, well it doesn't need right? It's very hard dealing with timesweepers and I don't like it and this one felt confused.. man by the end we had 7th era timsweepers... all thinking we are the last, we are the last.
Want to solve everything? go to the past and kill the inventor. Job Done BUT WAIT... if timesweepers were never invented how could you go to the past to kill the creator of it? Well... I give up.

Overall, nice fast pace story. Don't think to much. 5/10

View all my reviews