Book Review: Promise of the Witch King by R.A. Salvatore


Promise of the Witch King by R.A. Salvatore
My rating: 6 Stars
Pages 376
Year 2005

I didn't enjoy this novel as much as other from Drizzt although I enjoy reading about Entreri & Jarlaxe. The main problem was the plot itself. It bounced from one place to another but never really nothing happening. First of all there are too many characters that you won't really have time to invest because you know something is going to happen with them which was way more interesting that Drizzt. I know, I contradict myself but bear with me. Salvatore is a master creating characters but some of these we know they are just fodder for our companions and they aren't that well flesh out maybe because he intended to kill them off? Per example there is a dwarf assassin, which in theory sounds cool but why is he the best on the north? Well we never get that feeling because we were told and that's it. The best tracker is also there , again, because we are told not because we are shown.

Another thing I didn't enjoy is the repetitive in the castle attack. Uhh baddies, kill kill , okay let's g that way and rinse and repeat. The ending is fine and we expected as such. It was also cool to see some developement on both main villains (Entrari & Jarlaxe) and they are villains. Although they are the main characters, they are evil. Do not mistake or confuse with chaotic heroes. No. These guys will do evil stuff to further their gains. No respect. No humanity (drow-ity?) from them. Pretty good.

Overall, I will be reading the last one on this interconnected trilogy and then go to the War of Spider Queen. Maybe a project for 2024? 6/10

View all my reviews

Comments