Book Review: Secrets in Scarlet by Anthology

Secrets in Scarlet Secrets in Scarlet by James Fadeley
Pages 347
Year 2022

I will start with the review but I have some problems with this books... One interesting part is that
all of these tales set in different cities, from buenos aires, to san francisco, to alaska or in turkey which remind me of eldricht horror. Instead of normal run, fights or escapades against cthulhu or any other of his fellow "siblings" here is more down to earth stuff. Like some hidden cabal or evil people doing stuff to non-evil people. Sincerely? Boring as heck. All tales have something to do with colour Red but there is a lack of connectivity between ourselves and the stories. The previous novels we would get the investigator A or B from the game. Here is just random stuff. Okay you've got a card in that deck? Now lets go tell a tale about it. Others I couldn't even find the link.

The vast majority of tales are just boring... sorry I have no word other word for it. I was really enjoying this tale called In Art, Truth by James Fadeley where we have a female curator in turkey running around trying to find something hidden in art and then ends the tale telling oh it's a important step to gender equality.. what? What about the story you were telling? The last two tales are probably the better ones from this anthology.

The problem with these tales about empowering woman is that they are not showing/telling tales of empowering woman. They are telling me THEY are empowering diminishing everything they write. Tell me a tale of a strong woman and I will decide I enjoy it. Do not tell me I have to enjoy because she is a woman. That's the all debate about Rey & Leia (the true Leia - not the sequels stuff) or even Padme. They are strong female characters. Nobody had to tell .. oh they suffered because they are woman, look here she is battling a man and wining in strength. Look there is persecution and she squatted. No. They tell me a tale and I decide.

Are all of these writers trying to pandering the mobs? Is this a tale of lovecraftian stuff or gender equality, not equality but superiority of the female gender? You think I kid you?

The Man in the Bubble by David Annandale - Female
City of Waking Dreams by Davide Mana - Male
Brother Bound by Jason Fischer - Female
Honor Among Thieves by Carrie Harris - Female
A Forty Grain Weight of Nephrite by Steven Philip Jones - Non-Binary (in the 1920 lol)
Strange Things Done by Lisa Smedman - Male
In Art, Truth by James Fadeley - Female
Crossing Stars by MJ Newman - Female
The Red and the Black by Josh Reynolds - Female

Almost all stories draw to same conclusion, if you want something done? Send a woman. All stories at some point deal with "gender equality" or some commentary on racism or how "men" look at woman. Fucking sake. Grow up. Tell a fucking tale and shut up. If you want to preach go to twitter. You can talk about this important subjects but not sound like a self important prick who wants to "I will tell those white men how evil they are". Honestly I am tempted to stop buying this books...

Then non-binary character. Well, just because I want, I don't understand the all non-binary stuff nowdays and I don't have to. What I have is to respect everyone the same, no matter how those person feel and I do. being from a language where there is no neutral gender "they" to me means either the plural of he or she (ele ou ela respectivavely) To me They will always be "Eles" or "Elas". So having a character identifiy as they is truly confusing experience to read and at times I was utterly confusing as the author was telling they as single person or multiple. How the heck do other people not find this confusing? Oh well BTW, historically a non-binary character in the 1920's? Not going to happen. Stop with revisionism.

Fuck it. I am sick of it. Tell me a fucking lovecraftian horror story. That's what you promised yet none of these stories are truly horrible. They range for mystery to dark fantasy going to occult urban stuff. But horror? No. The truly horror is this constant need to pandering to the woke mob.

View all my reviews

Comments