Book Review: State of Fear by Michael Crichton

State of Fear State of Fear by Michael Crichton
My rating: 9 of 10 stars
Pages 705
Year 2004
Genre Thriller
Read August


After reading this novel I thought I made a long review but I don't think words can convey my thoughts so eloquently. So let's go with the review and this is going to be a different way. This book is divided in two if you wish;
- The thriller, chase and action scenes. The romance or lack of it and other stuff
- Then there is the controversy part where Crichton basically info dumps information about climate change and how companies, news and so are corruptible. Bear in mind that this book is almost twenty years old. Ideas changed, science change and politics changed. So there may be stuff that was "true" then and not now. Or general idea then and not now.

If you see the comments, and reviews here you can see the vast majority either love or hate and I can understand that. Crichton uses his characters to address some topics like rise of water, deforestation, weird weather, pollution and over population.

First of all, I believe that pollution and over population are deep preoccupation. I never really went overboard with the all climate change since I know history and know that there were modifications on temperature over the centuries. We all know that Germany used to be much warmer and then got colder around the time of roman empire and that's why so many tribes migrated from Germany and Scandinavia to southern Europe. We are talking about goths, franks, suevi, vandals among others. Since then temperature had it's ups and downs but since it was not measure there is no data to say okay what's happening now is normal. I understand that pollution probably facilitates stuff BUT is it as dramatic as it was? Or is earth climate changing (as it should even without human intervention?) If someone says, yes , I would laugh. Nobody knows. It's hypotheses and we can't test the other one so alas. Then you know the all species disappearing.. Who knows? Is scientist everywhere that know X millions disappear? No. For what I learn they do to a space with x years interval and check if the animals are the same BUT nobody knows really. This insects and stuff could migrated. It's all hypothesis. The sea level rising , it seems , after I've also checked hasn't raise anything significant. The problem was that people that makes this assessment are idiots that over use words and say "There is only more 70 months to change or there isn't a a no coming back" OR in ten years London will be under the sea or Venezia. You all heard and all were deemed... well wrong.

The only problem to be honest to our society is over population. We've got too much people and everyone wants a better life and society can't handle that. In terms of polution we are getting better (western society) but India, China and Africa are really to blame. Although if you heard the news you would thing it's Europe that is wrong. Fuck them. Go search in fucking google and search for it... here is one example https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rank....

Alas, I know I Can receive a ton of hate but fuck anyone who tells me I am the wrong one, when the people advocating for this are even worse. Look at Prince, sorry King Charles or Di Caprio and such. They fly private jets. There are others.. please just check. Btw, this is also another thing that Crichton nails it, claiming that the vast majority are after the money and publicity. News feed on it and they control us on it. Fear! Fear! Fear!
Look at world, it's one catasthrope after another to control us, 9/11, climate change, war in ukraine, covid etc. Everything to control us through our fears... They destroy and try to destroy or way of life through fear. It's awful what news do. That's why I skip them.

Oh well, I would rate this book 9/10. I enjoy it the reading and I made me think and search stuff. Unfortunately the thriller part is awful. To easy and second place.

View all my reviews

Comments