Book Review: The Beast Must Die by Gav Thorpe

The Beast Must Die The Beast Must Die by Gav Thorpe
My rating: 6 of 10 stars

Pages :  242
Year : 2016
Genre : Black Library 40K
Series Book 8 out of 12 

So, book 8 of the series, I will rate 6.
I enjoyed this novel but I have several problems with it.
First of all, the first chapter is probably the better one. Vulkan returns and he basically own the show. Then the remaining novel is basically going to Ullanor and fight fight fight...

Positives, I've got barely none, unless you talk about Koorland and the assassin stuff. It was disappointing seeing Vulkan. Vulkan is a demigod for all purposes, it's like he is Jesus to the GodEmperor. I hoped for more idolatry of a legend but besides telling there wasn't that much impact. Then Vulkan was aloof most of the time, like he had been brought to a time that wasn't his own. If Space marines treat humankind as mere child, then Vulkan treated Space Marines with contempt, with distaste. He basically treated Koorland (as a small child learning basic stuff, when he was the Lord Commander of all forces),
Another thing I didn't understand was the why Vulkan didn't want to deal/talk with the Salamanders. Makes no sense.
The last thing that upset me was the all battle. It was a major battle where tens of thousands of space marines died. Probably millions Astra Militarum, Titans etc but unfortunately it was too crammed. Other novels, or authors would take a couple of hundreds of pages on this. But here we are just told stuff happened. The action scenes were a bit off.
What did I enjoy? Well I enjoy as I said Koorland trying to deal with all forces of space marines with their own agenda.

Although I love black templars they are basically the most obnoxious, all action, no thinking brutes you can imagine. At least that's how Gav Thorpe write them. That chapter master was a very bad leader. No brains. by the end he was slap by Koorland and probably that's the highpoint of the novel.

So the beast is dead, vulkan well gone and let's see the next four novels.

View all my reviews

Comments