Book Review: Bird Box by Josh Malerman - October Horror Fest 2023 (12/31)

Bird Box Bird Box by Josh Malerman
My rating: 7 of 10 stars
Pages : 473 
Year :  2014
Genre : Horror, Post Apocalyptic
Series 1/2

I've enjoyed more than I had hoped but for once I think I enjoy the movie more than the book. Strange no? 7.5/10

So let me explain the novel & book are quite different. I am not going to great lengths to say everything different BUT let's get the cat from the bag (is that expression), the elephant in the room -first of all Sandra Bullock is a 59, 55 at the time of the movie. There are many differences, like the death of sister, the all group of survivors but I think the worst was is Tom. In the movie he basically takes care of the children with Malorie until they leave the house to search for the haven and in the travels he sacrifices himself for the group. In the book , the group is together, and Gary (the person who have seen the being but not commit suicide - although a bit crazy) lets one of the begins inside the house or harming directly killing all within the house bar Malorie and the two children (tom is killed). Then Malorie for 4 years trained the children to be fucking ninjas. She fucking teach them to wake up with their eyes closed! She teaches them to remember 20 sounds, man they can year a fucking leaf on the ground/water. They are like that blind hero (but they are not blind - my wife is blind and although she has a excellent hearing it's not that good).

So what's bad or good, well the story is good. I even enjoy how the tale is told, basically every other chapter it's the "now" (four years into the future) , and the "before" (after the gang was holed up on a house). In the movies , since it's more fast paced, this interconnections between characters are bit shallow while in the book it's more explain. We can watch changes.

My mine gripe with the novel, are the characters themselves, the Boy & Girl. They are way to perfect for children of 4. I am sorry. IF this could be done we would have armies of children in North Korea or some arabs countries because these two children are fucking ninjas with their senses. Sorry for the fuck.

Besides, at times its a bit slow and the action scenes , mainly in the end is a bit confusing. The end itself it's good and I want to read Malorie which is a sequel (nothing to do with Bird Box Barcelona).

View all my reviews

Comments