Book Review: Lair of the Crystal Fang by S.A. Sidor

Lair of the Crystal Fang Lair of the Crystal Fang by S.A. Sidor
My rating: 8 of 10 stars
Pages : 363
Year : 2022
Genre : Lovecraftrian Horror
Series : Arkham Horror 

This was probably my favourite Arkham Horror novel. Why you ask?
My main gripe with this series is the lack of interest because apart from one or two characters from the boardgames most are rather new stuff that we can't connect. Here is a bit different, you've got a handful of them. You've got Charlie (the politician - here is the mayor of Arkham) helped by Mandy Thompson, in another part we've got Carolyne Fern, Wendy Adams plus 3 from previous novel by Sidor Andy, Maude & Jake). You also got Rex Murphy the unlucky reporter. This tale is as I said different... With a vast characters we jump from one chapter to the next to one party and that's the first bonus point. You've also got the point view of evil people and neutral ones.

Apart from this the story is good. They are building something in the sewers and find a crystal shard of a bygone era that is affecting them differently. You've got this two parties of "good" then a bunch of witches and the Lamprey (the evil one). They all have their interests and goals. That's the another interesting stuff.

So, what I didn't enjoy? Well, since you've got a vast cast of "named" characters you know that they can't be killed. So, there is a bit of lack of connection with the characters. Then is the Evil presence, that instead of being an evil one is Chaos God I've never heard of... Probably in the RPG or something. Then you've got the ending... IT was over in four of five pages.

Apart from this things it was undoubtly my favourite. There are still extra stories that could come from this characters. Nothing that I can consider woke came to this novel (you know my problem with previous ones) 8/10

View all my reviews

Comments