Book Review: Watchers in Death by David Annandale (The Beast Arises #9)

Watchers in Death Watchers in Death by David Annandale
My rating: 8 of 10 stars
Pages : 208
Year : 2016
Genre : BL Warhammer
Series : The Beast Arises #9/12

I believe this book meeting was something like this;
- Hey Annan (that's how I call him), you know what? You are the man to introduce the deathwatch and at the same time reunite the Imperium with the sisters of silence. You think you can?
- Sure, do I have a trilogy of novels, maybe a duology where I can write one each?
- No. This you've got one novel.
- I can do it. But at least give me 500 pages.
- Hmm , no can do. Yours is going to be one of the smallest one. You've got 200 page novel.
- What?
- We've got paper shortage (in a few years). It's like you writing for lexicanum, just copy paste and give them some dialogues and that's it.
- Oh shit... (I don't know if he said frak, shit or any other stuff but I bet he did say something)

This book follows the last where humanity destroyed the Beast (or not), Vulkan disappeared, the vast majority of space marines died, billions dead. IT was a disaster. So, Koorland say, well, if brute force doesn't work, let's go 5 or 10 go there and destroy the ork moon. That will work. And thus DeathWatch were born (with the help of Vangorich of the Officio Assassinorum- probably one of my favourite characters in the series - I know that next books will feature him, the last two I guess)

I think the books in the series have their hits and misses. It's like they outline the main story and then divided in 12. Each writer would write one of book (Annandale wrote the 4th, 7th and 9th). It seems some novels felt too long, while others too short. This last two were two short. They could easily be bigger. All the Lords acceptance of Kill Teams felt rushed and disjoined. I opened for more politics and such. Oh well. Overall it was a good novel, don't get me wrong. I just hoped for more. 8/10

View all my reviews

Comments