Book Review: : Ravencry: The Raven's Mark Book Two by Ed McDonald

Ravencry: The Raven's Mark Book Two Ravencry: The Raven's Mark Book Two by Ed McDonald
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Pages :  414
Year :  2018
Genre : Grimdark
Series : Raven's Mark (book2)

Why does it take me so much to read books that are part of series? I am enjoying the novel, I will give it a 9/10 but I think I have some bias/mental issue that makes me delay and delay books I am enjoying or part of series. Maybe because I dont' want them to end?

First of all, this books follows the first one, several years after the battle and our main character (Galharrow) is a changed man. There are new characters but we also see some of the old and since it's told in the first person perspective it's quite interesting to see his opinions on them. First of all, the last book ended in a place where if you didn't want to read the second you would have a nice ending. The same happens here. The plots are closed (the vast majority). There is a bigger plot (not directly involved on him - nameless vs deep kings war).

One of the most interesting things on this novel is that we get glimpse and stories about the city and the Misery. Around 100 pages are set in Misery and I think the author could get more books on this since there is so much to explore. Even the stories of the deep kings, nameless, drudges etc could easily be a place where the author could come back. We get to see the Drudge with new eyes and maybe they are not what they seem...

There are new interesting characters and although the world is grimdark there are good stuff there, some characters do the good things. Galharrow is a more ambiguous and can do anything to achieve it's goals - kind of. He is anti-hero. I also enjoy, and I think that's the best part, is the transformation he suffers from the beginning to the end (either due to Esbeth, Amaira, the Raven or the Misery).

So what do I expect from book 3? Well, I expect more grimdark stuff , obviously. I am kidding. I expect a kind of closure for Galharrow and the upcoming battle between the gods with humans and drudge as pawns. This author must know Warhammer 40K. since this is quite the lives of everyone fighting in the name of chaos gods. There are worlds where chaos gods, daemons battle for the sake of it and that's the feeling Ed gives us. The gods are fighting a battle (like in chess) and we humans are suffering the repercussions.. It's awesome.

View all my reviews

Comments