Book Review: Hollow World - Michael J Sullivan




** spoiler alert ** This novel was not for me. High expectations but I thought it failed in two points (for me).

First it's preachy then it's not that good characterization-wise.

** Sorry a bit of interlude... please skip if you don't want to be lecture... **

I read for pleasure and for escapism reason and one thing I don't like are books preachy and tell me that unless I think like the author I am wrong. Unfortunately this book felt like it.

** I warned you - last chance **

I don't enjoy this new snowflake generation to tell me unless I think like them I am a evil person like hitler (no matter what I belief). Personally I don't give a crap if you are gay or black. So what? You want a medal or something like that for being one? Cool. This novel I felt that this author was shoving down my throat something that I didn't want to be shove (what?).

What I am telling is this... there are people who are gay, black and woman. There are people who are against all of them. Then there are people who support one or another and probably half the population don't give a crap about that. They just don't care. BUT unless they demonstrate they support them they are evil. That really upsets me. Don't shove your opinions on me. I don't give a crap.

Do you give a crap about those somalis or other african people dying of hunger? Yes? What do you do about it? NOTHING! So ... off!

I am not a horrible people, I am one of those normal people who want to live their life not upset by other people. I belief that each one of us should fight for what he think it's the correct way BUT I am totally against when your beliefs (no matter what subject) are more important than my and you start to make me feel bad. Am I bad? Sorry but I Don't give a crap about your opinion anyway :)

Unless you want to share your opinion and take mine. I am not going to defend myself saying that I have black friends (which I don't) or gay friends (I probably have - don't know BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A CRAP about your sexuality) or woman (I have a wife and my best friend is also a woman - and a Jeoavah Witness lol)

** End of intermisssion **

What's wrong with the book? heavy spoiler alert!!! I cannot tell why I didn't enjoy unless I spoil... [Our main character for start travels forward in time because he was going to die - he then meets the new earth inhabitants and even find a old friend who turns out to be psychopath probably the son of hitler and stalin with Mao inbetween. After all he only was friend with him for 40 years and didn't realized that he was racisct, womanizer, homophobic (like our main character) and mass murderer (thinking about it I think he was worse that hitler, stalin and mao) damn talk about being blind. Then we realize that the reason his son kill himself was because he found out that his son was gay and told him that he should either "Stop" that OR lose his family - then he turns out to be ... GAY! well partially gay since this futurist beings are neither male or female.... probably both or none. WHAT A bunch of crap. It was a bit disappointing to see that he didn't develop more about society 2000 years into the future... Until half the book I was enjoying.. a mix of fantasy, apocalyptic and mystery..


Comments