Book Review: Hickory Dickory Dock (Agatha Christie) Poirot


I must say that, as previous Agatha Christies novels I am not enjoying that much. Again, Poirot is almost absent only appearing just for the sake of it. This all mystery was interesting. A post ww2 story where global world is opening up. We've got ourselves a home where all sort of people live, american, french, indians, africans and English of course.

The mystery itself was not really interesting. So, several stuff are missing from the house and Poirot learns from it after his secretary makes a mistake writing a letter. One thing goes to another and Poirot goes investigate that (boring?).

A murder happens a day later and another one a couple of days after. But from that moment on, Poirot is almost absent only appearing to "solve" the case. Nothing that the inspector and residents couldn't figure it out themselves.

One interesting stuff is the mentality of residents. You've got several people with different background and in that regard Agatha can really shine. Even one boy/man that openly criticizes the way Poirot works as... "The old Way" - It seems he was wrong.

Also the women behave different comparing with the girls written in the 20's or 30's. It seems the times are changing... I will continue because even the worst Christie novel is not the worst book I've read. So maybe this 2 stars will equal a 3 stars novel I read sometime. Regarding those authors I read the much I compare between them. I also do that with 40K or Fantasy novels. I can compare between them.

5 star rating has that problem. A 10 would be better but alas, that's what we have.

Comments