Book Review: The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

The Hunt for Red October The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
My rating: 9 of 10 stars
Pages : 1984
Year : 464
Genre : Spy Thriller, Military Fiction
Series : Jack Ryan

It took me 4 months to read an it was amazing altogether. I should have read this in a couple of sittings but alas life is that way. Don't know why but sometimes , even If I am loving a book I start another and another...

This book is probably one of the most know from him... it's a tale about a submarine called Red October who is quite knew to URSS navy but just on her maiden voyage it tries to defect to USA. Within are a lot of characters that you get to know, probably the better one is Ramius (captain). On the other side you got Jack Ryan a CIA operative , the head of CIA, of FBI, The president among countless other characters. Most of them probably won't appear on later books (exception being the president and top ones). It's a tale of cat and mouse and it's a very entertaining and interesting story. If you go there in a spirit of learning you get to learn a lot about the navy , about stuff that I didn't even knew it existed and you get a lot of navy, army jargon. I bet this book is a wet dream for military people. Another thing that comes to mind is that this book was written in 1984. Cold War was ongoing and so , reading this book back in the day should have been amazing. Another thing that I have to give credits is that, today if I want to write a espionage, navy book I google stuff. But in 1984 you didn't had the internet so people , to write had to go to library, have experience or books about it. Nowadays I bet most authors don't read history books to inspire and such. They go to wiki, see something cool and write it something. (I am not removing credits for authors of nowadays - I giving praise to this author who with so many detailed information must had experience/study hard).

It's a good thriller, good military fiction focus on subs and espionage. It's political games.. I Am going to read more in the near future , no doubt.

View all my reviews

Comments