Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Book Review: The Housemates (Damienverse, #4) - Iain Rob Wright (Horror)


I read this book in one day, I've read 270 pages in one day! That means anything right?

In this story we follow 12 characters as they are sent to a remote location to win one or two million pounds. We are introduce to our main character which is Damien and in the first 30 or 40 pages he introduce us to other characters like Jules, Alex, Jade, Richard or Danni. After the first game, pretty innocuous two characters are sent to a elimination chamber and things start going wrong as one of the character dies.

After this it's a full pace horror \ thriller novel where everyone wants to survive. The interesting part? Each one is not a good person. One is Murderer, Whore, Traitor, Crusader, Peddler, Trickster among others so alliances are quite thin and change.

In my opinion some of the revenge stories were pretty much deserved and you kind of root for them to be killed others were a bit meh. But that's revenge I would say.

There were some characters that were really cardboard - like the racist or the womanizer. That was their trait. I pretty much smiled when I thought that the kid who was drug addict say people change and all of that but a racist changing? Well, no.

Another thing I noticed is that the only black person crime was pretty mundane and probably the one least deservable of death. I wonder if the author was afraid of making a black person racist or child molester. Maybe I am overthinking this but - maybe I am not. Either way it didn't made not enjoy the book. Just a parenthesis.

Overall it was lovely horrible book - I saw one youtuber that said this was one of the most horrible books- it was not. but it's probably one of the best horror thrillers I've read. But I've read far better on horror front and thriller front.

OVerall, I will read more. I jsut got Witch which is another series BUT the author confirmed and we kind of know there are other books that follow (other series, because this is book 4 but the ending says one thing that made me think there are more books.. Since I don't want people to get spoilers - this was his info (view spoiler)

93/100

No comments: