I read this novella in one day and this was my first foray into Yuval Kordov work. I've bought all of his books after reading a interview and what he believes.
This is a novella as I've said that is set on the same universe as the the trilogy "Dark Legacies" he wrote a couple of years ago. In the end he explains the reason behind the interest on writing it.
First of all, let me take two cats out of the back. This feels 40K universe - a bit less dark with the mix between human-machines symbiose & the all machine spirit feel. The praying itself remind of Catholicism mantras.
We are thrown into the action right from the bat and not much explanation is provided - probably dark legacies should be read BEFORE this , although I didn't felt lost or that some spoilers existed.
So the world is at war with some demons and some young girls are bonded with robots called god-engines (the parallelism with 40K). They go in pairs to patrol and kill those demons.
The prayers and lithurigies are very good and they give an interesting vibe to this world. It's does not feel like the author is hinting of something or educating you on religion. It's part of this characters but is well so done.
The conversations between the two characters are scarce but give them both personalities within a 80 page book. The most developed part of the novel is the world itself. It's bleak, you've got people trying to survice (that unfortunately don't get much screen time), you've got Rachel-3 which has been alive for 300+ days and can have still have faith yet piety on the people in the wasteland which turns Hannah off.
I would say that probably the 3 and 9 are version and that may hint something, because they "reincarnate" in some sort so maybe being hopeful (that's the feeling I got from Rachel) vs Hannah which has a more pessimistic view on the world - although they love one another and do anything for the other.
I enjoyed it and gives me hope to read his books in the next few months. I am really enjoying incense punk. So far , so good. 87/100

No comments:
Post a Comment