The Nightrunners within this novel is probably one of the best horror novels I've seen. I've made a couple of reviews on youtube and I will say I Really enjoyed it. We follow a woman who has been abuse and her husband as they try to overcome the issue one year prior. Landsdale touches some topcis here like sexual intimacy after the act and husband\wife support.
In other hand we follow a young boy part of the gang who abused her (he was not directly involved) and then we have a flashback about the fall of this boy and this deals with other interesting topics like child crimes, where does it come from and how can children be used (or use themselves) as minors to escape crime sentences. I know that this is not the main focus but it's there for you to think about it.
The novels it's gory when it needs to be, slice of life (kinda) when it needs to be. There is no description of violence just for the sake of it. There is animal cruelty , but with a book with r*pe, death, mutilation - this is where people draw the line? OK.
Throughout the book you get the feeling is this supernatural or mind psychology only - it's very cool. The short stories probably hint to the supernatural.
There are some interesting good illustrations by Glenn Chadbourne that really enhance the tale.
There are also some short stories, some connected to that world, some not - at least one and half. I really enjoy the Not from Detroit short story.
Overall it's a very good book with 93/100 for the novel itself and 73/100 for the remaining short stories. 90/100 is my final rating.

No comments:
Post a Comment