Book Review: Fall of Cthulhu Omnibus

Year: 2015
Pages: 500
Reading Time: August 2022 (16 days)
Rating: 7 Stars

First of all just so you know this is a compilation of several comics that tell an overachieving story... It started with The Fugue, The Gathering; the Gray Man, GodWar, Apocalpyse and finally Nemesis (the latter tells a different yet connected tale to the other 5).

There is more than one tale here, or plot and there are multiple characters on different stories....The story behind is a war in the Dreamlands or at least the main story is about the war between Cthulhu vs Nodens (sure looks like Poseidon & Zeus?). Nyarlathotep is there in mist as well and Harlot (didn't knew about this one)

At times, it's a character driven story, at times , someone shows the great scope (mainly in Godwar part 4) and how the war has been set in place for thousands of years... Now about the art, I don't enjoy comics to be honest.. I've read of course, I read manga as well but usually I don't enjoy that much of comics but since I was enjoying the tale the art was there... I will not be giving much on that as I am not an expert if it is good or bad. I like the dreamlands parts; I like the depiction of the ancient ones. At times the art didn't felt the same for me (besides the art style chose to differentiate our world vs dreamlands). But this took some time and the artist evolved I would deduce so it can be that

If you have played the games, you may enjoy this feeling ; if you read the stories you know it should end poorly to our main characters.. I think it has that grandiose element of battle.

Recommendation: Is it for you?

Let me ask you two or three things; if you are sick of nowadays "interpretations" and "modernizations" and other stuff people write to feel good about themselves by stealing an idea of cosmic horror for their own gains while at the same time spitting on Lovecraft and Cthulhu Mythos - then yes. This is a good tale.

It has some good story, as I said a bit confusing at times but good overall & some interesting characters - nice to see Portuguese from brazil there (The Grey Man)

Now the caveat is that it's comics...

The Harlot

Comments