October Horror Fest - 25/31 Book Review: Cthulhu Wars: In the Belly of the Beast - Ben Monroe

 Well, I bought this book and started reading right away. The reason is that I enjoy lovecraftian tales and since this was based on Cthulhu Wars I started to read and thought that this makes no sense being labed as Cthulhu Wars.


Cthulhu Wars is a game where 2 or more players battle for victory. Each faction has it's own weakness and strengths. I knew this could not be done since it would be impossible to make a book on Cthulhu perspective or other any other Old Ones... Well it could be done via the cultists but it would be hard. What I found was 9 tales, each one with 3/5 pages. Each page focused on one Faction available in Cthulhu Wars (interesting none was about Cthulhu). Each one is non-connected to the other.

In the other tale takes almost 300 pages and we follow three survivors in a post-apocalytic environment where several Old Ones come to be... Unfortunately the author doesn't spent that much time in this focusing on our 3 protagonists.  There are a couple of chapters dedicated to other beings (including Wendigo). But what disappoint me it was the lack of connection between the novel and Cthulhu Wars. There was no battles between old ones (although there were a couple of pages where we see some cultists fighting other faction.

But that was it...

I wrote this in when I was at 250 pages or so but in the last 40 pages there are some action between two Old Ones (Cthulhu vs Ithaqua) but it's so brief and just a note that it was insufficient for me.

It's a book that can be read very fast no doubt about it but bear in mind that it doesn't do justice to the Cthulhu Wars franchise. I would prefer a Planet Apocalpyse novel since it would be better suited because since the world is burning and daemons are appearing there are survivors and they are fighting. Novels could be written by it. Let us see... 

Beautiful cover

Comments