Book Review: The Imago Sequence and Other Stores - Laird Barron


The Imago Sequence and Other Stories by Laird Barron
My rating: 2 of 10 stars

I am very disappointed...
First I am disappointed that this book was not as Lovecraftian I thought it would be. It's more weird, noir fiction that horror. To be honest, only probably the first story had some horror and the title story. The remaining were just weird - some I didn't understood what was happening... I sincerely felt lost in most tales - mainly Hallucigenia, Bulldozer, Black Sloth were very unreal and probably that was the purpose but I couldn't connect with anything - even the plot.
Old Virginia was the only one with a clear plot.
So my conclusions are:
a) maybe I am not an erudite regarding this kind of writing?
b) maybe is just not that good?
If goodreads is something to take into consideration by option it's A.... well... who knows.

There were some stories that were connected which - at least Imago was with Parallax.
The second possible disappointing thing is that I also bought The Croning, Occultation, The Light of Darkness so... Let us hope they are better/different.

This year of 2021 has started on a bad note...But I must phrase that you should be totally confident that this is a bad book. It's just weird to me - Writing skill it's great. It remind me of Vandermeer writing...

View all my reviews

Comments