Book Review: Hot Zone by Steven Konkoly (2017) (October Horror Fest 30/31)

Author: Hot Zone
Book: Steven Konkoly
Year: 2017
Pages: 352
Part of Series: 1 of 3
Genre: Horror, Apocalyptic, Zombies
Reading Time: 19 October to 25 October 2021
Rating: 5 Stars

Why the high rating I cannot understand.

This was read as an audiobook in a couple of sittings. Unfortunately it didn't click to me as much as I hoped. I knew this was the first book and it feels like the first book. It's incomplete and it the story just began.

In this tale we get to know all our characters and the beginning of the "end". It sure looks like the zombie apocalypse or more akin to Hater by David Moody plague is being unleash. Bearing in mind that we are still on our "pandemic" it sure feels like this could have happen -- or not.

I can't understand the high praise to be quite honest since it dragged a lot. It gave too much information for things that had no interested. I don't know but it feels the writers wrote a full length novel probably 600 pages and someone said - okay lets do a trilogy. Write some more fillers and you've got a deal. Alas, this book was born.

Don't take me wrong - it's an interesting START of the apocalypse. Most zombie stuff skip this or give a micro feeling of the stuff. Here we've got visions from people on the ground and what they did before and so on. Maybe this could have been accomplish with flashbacks BUT it's fine. It's not bad. But don't expect the action and fluidity of others. Slow burning... I will hear the 2 and 3. Probably not now but in the next few months

Comments