Book Review: Whispers in the Dark October Horror Fest 2023 (25/31)

Whispers in the Dark Whispers in the Dark by Jonathan Aycliffe
My rating: 8 of 10 stars
Pages :  221
Year : 1992
Genre : Gothic Horror
Series : Solo

I've tried countless times to read gothic horror... the vast majority is rather boring and not that scary in the end. That's why I've stop trying for a while. But since I've read the first novel by Jonathan Aycliffe I came to realize that he writes gothic stuff. Is not pure horror, or gore. The books are usually not that big and slowly build tension until the culmination.

Here we've got a old woman telling the tale of her life in the turn of the century and here is where Ayclfife is a master. He really knows how Britain was in the turn of the century, how people behaved and such. So, stuff happens and she loses her father and afterwards her mother and then she is separated from her brother. For years she becomes quite literally a slave/peasant resigned to her life. Then she meets her family (cousins and such) and things start to be better for her, or are they?

As the chapters enfold you get to know more about those strange stuff that is happening and get some information here and there. The ending of our main tale was a bit weak (fast) as I hoped for more. The ending of the novel was good.

I can see Jonathan did this, and thought what a movie rights?
Either way, 8 out 10. My criticism was the fast ending (compare with the slow built).

This is a writer I've read almost everything he wrote (not counting his pseudonymn which he writes historic thrillers). I am missing Naomi's Room & Silence of Ghosts. This one, A Garden Lost in Time, don't know why but it's hard to get.

View all my reviews

Comments